kev.in.real.time

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Waitangi Day 2007

Today is Waitangi Day. The weather outside is sunny and a temperature of 21c. The shops have had a few sales and we have hit McDonalds McCafe for a coffee.

I havent checked the TV news yet but Waitangi Day is known for fierce protests by our indiginous Maori people. Every year, we are told how bad we white people are and that we should either leave the country or give our wealth to the indiginous people. The place where the treaty of Waitangi was signed is not open to the white European population. Lots of people often talk about us having a separate day called New Zealand Day. It's an option i guess.

Last nights firework display and concert in the park was awesome. The proceeding went over the 3 hours that it was scheduled for but it was mild ouside so everyone had fun.

Tonight im off to a BBQ. Lots of sausages and bacon so i should wake up as a fat kiwi by morning!
kev.in.real.time

6 Comments:

At 5:03 PM, Blogger tim said...

I love bacon and sausages... I am jealous... I want to be a fat kiwi.

 
At 6:01 PM, Blogger Donnie said...

I never thought of grilling bacon....sounds interesting.

Yes, us whites here in the US are bad too, apparently. Both the Native Americans and the African-Americans heap us with "white guilt".

 
At 12:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Donnie's second comment is right on, and I get a little tired of it. I do not know of many peoples who have not been persecuted/taken advantage of at some time in their history. The reason I live in the US is that generations ago my ancestors were persecuted and driven out of France for their beliefs, but I don't spend my life casting dispersions on the perpetrators. I do not blame others for my failures and I don't take full credit for my successes either.

Quite frankly I find certain Kiwi's very affable - whether they be fattened on sausages or not. :)

 
At 9:13 AM, Blogger David said...

Happy Waitangi day !

 
At 12:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have a Happy Holiday!!
I had seen the NZ holiday listed on my office calendar and had to Wikipedia it. Now I know! Hope all is well!

 
At 6:31 AM, Blogger CondoBlogger said...

Sounds like you had a great day despite the disagreements over the holiday itself.

Have some extra bacon and sausages for me!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home