kev.in.real.time

Monday, January 08, 2007

My Whinge

Today i feel like Mr Grumpy but something has annoyed me so much.

I turned the TV on this morning and during the adverts there was an ad for World Vision Charity encouraging you to sponsor a child. There were scenes of children crying and screaming and looking so distressed. Now this charity is at all the shopping malls trying to get you to there stall to get you to sign up to give regular money. this morning there were ads on normal TV EVERY 20 Minutes! Dont get me wrong, charities need to ask for money but with these ads running every 20 minutes on TV and also every 20 minutes on the radio and then if i decide to get out of the house to get away from it then they will harrass me while shopping. To cap it all they even put a leaflet in my letterbox this morning! Scenes of distressed children work when you see them once but after 2 or 3 times people get de-sensitised.

This charity done the same thing last year. their ads lasted from early December to mid February. Together with the other half dozen or so charities that do this kind of mass saturation 'begging' at this time of year it can make people feel pretty guilty.....

Oh as im typing the ads are back on tele and the World Vision ad is back on.......ugggggghh.

I do and will continue to give one off charity donations to my favourite charities but it wont be to those charities that are currently 'saturating' the media.

This post isnt a dig at any charities. It is just the way they 'over-advertise' causing people not to give donations
kev.in.real.time

7 Comments:

At 12:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh I am so with you!

Here in the USA - beyond the TV ads - we get junk mail by the tons. We do give to charities, but my philosophy of late has been that the more mailings a charity sends me the less (read nothing) they get from me. If they have the money to waste on mailing (or ads) they do not need my small contribution.

I also check on the charities to make sure that a VERY large portion of my donation goes to the intended target and not to some CEO's perks. There are web sites by which you can check them out.

 
At 3:29 AM, Blogger Kevin said...

It's when they show pictures of kids with flies landing on their eyeballs that I cringe and change the station.

Oh, and thanks for the invite. I may have to take you up on it sometime. ;)

 
At 4:54 AM, Blogger RIC said...

«Sponsor a child»?!...
Replace love for money...
Repulsive!
How many children would the ads money «sponsor»?...
Sad...

 
At 10:18 AM, Blogger cb said...

Um.... "whinge"? What the fuck is "whinge"??

Is it akin to whining?

 
At 11:57 AM, Blogger Doug said...

This is why I never really watch TV. I watched it for a week while I was at my mom's, and by the last day I was really sick of the commercials. There are products I will know I will never buy, but the jingle will be stuck in my head for life. And they show them a gazillion times. I hear you...

 
At 2:44 AM, Blogger Doug said...

In total agreement here! Any sort of advertisement saturation is a sure way to get me to *not* buy something.

 
At 10:06 AM, Blogger Donnie said...

I find here in my part of the US...our cable channels seem to gear certain charities to the channel they're advertising on. I'm sure I'm very clear, though.

I just wish they wouldn't try to wear us down by the commercial bombardment.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home