kev.in.real.time

Saturday, December 23, 2006

Worst Present?

Today all the malls in the city were open until midnight again. I sat down at my Starbucks in the mall tonight with my hot gingerbread latte which is pricey at NZ$4.80 (approx US$2.40, GBP1.70) and my eyes were drawn the christmas wrappers who were in the mall wrapping up peoples presents for free. The queues were long but i was astounded to see what people were having wrapped up. I saw:

1. A t-shirt.
2. A teddy bear.
3. A nice rugby jersey (NZ All Blacks)
4. A magazine.
5. A toy car that was about 1.5 metres in length and almost the same in diametre!
6. A bottle of vitamins!
7. A babys dummy!
8. A small bottle of supermarket brand mustard!
9. A packet of toothpicks! Yes toothpicks!

I am thinking 2 things to myself, first who would wait in a queue for 20 minutes to get gifts wrapped when you could pay a dollar for wrapping paper and do it yourself and second who is the lucky bugger who is going to receive the mustard or worse, the toothpicks!?

My worst ever present is Gift vouchers. It suggests people dont put any thought into a gift and you have to wait until after christmas until you can spend them. To me i'd prefer the toothpicks as it would be the thought that would count (although i would ask as to why they chose them for me!)

Any one else had bad presents in the past?
kev.in.real.time

8 Comments:

At 2:58 AM, Blogger Doug said...

LOL Some of those are strange gifts, but stranger still to wrap them. I don't think I could have wrapped those without breaking out laughing.

 
At 2:58 AM, Blogger RIC said...

OmG! That's why I keep myself away from shops... Toothpicks?! Unbelievable! I'd rather not get anything at all! I might start laughing or crying... I cannot tell...
Merry Christmas, dear Kevin!

 
At 3:00 AM, Blogger cb said...

Dude, gift vouchers rock! That way you can get what YOU want.

What's a baby's dummy??

the All Blacks rock my world! Dan Carter is a god among mortals! YOu know I have an AB visor and rugby ball.

 
At 4:54 AM, Blogger David said...

Aren't those gingerbread lattes to die for !
I think the only gift of those Id have wanted is the rugby shirt, or maybe as the wrapping with a nice Kiwi inside it !

 
At 6:49 AM, Blogger Lemuel said...

Some people will take advantage of anything that is free!

As for worst present? lemmesee... Well, one of them would be the annual gift of a box of 10 Lifesaver candy rolls, packaged to look like a Christmas book from my MIL. It was always her present to all the SIL's. Lots of thought there. I never ate them.

 
At 1:04 PM, Blogger Doug said...

I love mustard. A fancy jar of mustard would be perfect for me. Even unwrapped. I guess I am with you. I don't really want the agony of a gift card and having to think of what I want to buy. Chris got one for the Home Depot (which is like a do it yourself warehouse of tools and lumber) and he is a GAY MAN who hasn't a clue of how to do any of this! And now we have a gift card. What are we going to get? A sander? A drill? And what do we do with it when we get it? Maybe a nail gun... hmmmm.

 
At 4:01 PM, Blogger tim said...

OH darling, I hate this time of the year. I am so not wanting to be part of it all. That being said, I have to go get a gift for one person only. Well, two if you count my husband and aren't I enough of a present? :)

 
At 3:44 PM, Blogger Indigo said...

Worst Chritmas gift I've ever been given? A flea-market sweater (wrong size) that also smelled like cat piss .

It was a "gift" from my grandmother (who was mad as a hatter).

Egads!

Second place worst gift? the Home Depot gift card. I bought Coca Cola and light bulbs with it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home