kev.in.real.time

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

More Gift Cards

I posted about a month ago regarding how popular gift cards were in the United States. I noticed this while on my holiday in New York. When i came home there were only two stores in New Zealand that i could see that offered them here.
Well over the course of a month or so, it seems that all the shops here have now got them!!!! the DIY Store, the supermarket, the stationery store, Even Subway Sandwiches!

Talking about Subway sandwiches, i am stunned as to how popular these restaurants have got over the last year. They have opened up in virtually every town and suburb and there are always huge queues virtually everyday and everytime of day. To top it all they have introduced a joint gift card and reward card that is electronic and you get 4c for every dollar you spend there. They are really marketing themselves.
How are they doing overseas? Is subway popular in USA/Britain/Germany?

Just one more thing about my whinge yesterday. I have had one charity actually ring me during dinner yesterday at home. Dont you just love it!
kev.in.real.time

7 Comments:

At 1:01 AM, Blogger Lemuel said...

Lots of Subways here.

 
At 2:46 AM, Blogger Doug said...

Subways are here in force. Almost every strip mall has them. There's one shopping area that has two Subways within short walking distance of each other.

This is kinda related to the media advertisement saturation thing. Too much scares me away.

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger Donnie said...

Yes, gift cards are all the rage here in the southeastern US. Nothing says, "I like you, but not enough to look for a personal gift" like a gift card.

Subway is pretty popular here..."Subway, eat fresh".

 
At 10:12 AM, Blogger Donnie said...

Kevin,

To answer the question in your comment to me...the Peanut Butter Chocolate Muscle Milk Light is really good. I love the combo of chocolate and peanut butter.

It's hard to believe it's not also popular there in NZ.

 
At 2:54 PM, Blogger David said...

We have about 5 subways here in Brighton now and they are all over the country. Last time I was visiting my mother in a sleep Welsh village the local bakers was now a Subway also!

 
At 4:16 PM, Blogger RIC said...

After reading your post and the comments, I'll have to declare: not yet, but they're surely on their way. You know, Kevin, we Portuguese never miss those marvels... It may take some time, but they be here for sure, sooner or later...
As to that dinner-time charity, do you mean by «ring» they called you over the phone or knocked at your door? In either case, obnoxious!
Btw, on my TV I've banned each and every channel broadcasting advertisements of whatever kind. And I am quite glad and happy and gay I did so!...
F...ck them all!

 
At 7:55 PM, Blogger T-Bird said...

Lots of subways up here. The spokes person in the US of A is an ex 450 pounder named Jared who lost a ton and a snarfing down foot long Subway submarine sandwiches (extra everything -- me thinks not!) and does TV spots showing him holding up his size 74 inch pants. I read somewhere that something thought he was gay, but I think it is conjecture.

Ricardo left us a geography message on my blog.

When I get around to adding you as a link on my blog, is there any particular image that you fancy as being the visual representation of you and your site? My links are on the left hand column. Let me know. It can be something that makes sense, or can be silly and absurd . Cheers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home