kev.in.real.time

Sunday, January 14, 2007

Advertisements

This weekend hasnt been so boring afterall. Yesterday me and my partner went for an afternoon drive out to the country. We took some food and stopped at a friends house in the country and ate. The weather was very cloudy and rainy (typical of summer this year). I think we are still waiting for the good weather to return from the East coast of the USA. The short trip out though was good and we even got to stop at a mall just slightly outside of the city which i like as it has great cheap fashionable clothing as well as other good shops.

I was thinking on the drive home yesterday about advertisements and the slogans they use or catchy phrases they utilise so that customers can remember them. I thought it would be so difficult but it was actually so easy. I started with the banks:

Bank of New Zealand: 'Bank Smarter, Bank of New Zealand.'
Kiwibank: 'It's ours,not theirs'
ASB Bank: 'One Step Ahead'
The National Bank: 'The Thoroughbred Among Banks'

And then other ads for supermarkets.....

Pak N Save: 'We Pack You Save'
Countdown: 'You can count on us to keep prices down'
New World: 'First In Food First In Value'

And then of course you have other companies.....

Smiths City (DIY Store):' Smith City Has it All'
Mitre 10 (DIY Store): You'll come out better off at Mitre 10'
Panadol (Painkiller): 'It's your choice'
The Warehouse (Homeware) 'Where EVERYONE Gets a Bargain'

Of corse there are many many more and once you hear the music with their jingles and words you are just humming....

I just wonder how much they affect me?
kev.in.real.time

6 Comments:

At 12:06 PM, Blogger Donnie said...

My head is full of jingles and commercials. I sometimes feel like it's infringing on the more important stuff going on in my brain.

 
At 3:36 PM, Blogger Spider said...

My ex always accused me of being the worlds easiest advertising push-over - that I heard and believed everything I heard in a jingle...

btw - I found you from Digital T-Square and Donnie - love your place and I have bloggrolled you - hope you don't mind...

 
At 6:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I made up my own little radio jingle medley one time. I still remember it; it has jingles in it from stores that no longer exist.

 
At 1:14 PM, Blogger Doug said...

This is why I don't watch TV. I get these things in my head, and then I go eat something I really didn't want or need! I was in the mall today, and I was attracted by all the 50 percent off signs. I kept looking at all this stuff, and thinking "I need this!" I really didn't and didn't buy anything. But signs and ads tempt you. I don't know about an ad for a bank. I mean I chose my bank because the locations were convienant. I don't even know if they advertise. Maybe I will ask them to sing their jingle for me when I go in there next.

 
At 6:36 PM, Blogger Apteryx said...

When I lived in New Plymouth there was a church just down the street from the Warehouse, and they totally copied their sign in font, colour, etc. except the slogan was "Where everyone gets a pardon." Cute. Sick, but cute!

 
At 6:05 AM, Blogger Doug said...

Reminds me of "Demolition Man" where they have a radio station that plays nothing but old advertising jingles. Painful!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home