kev.in.real.time

Monday, May 28, 2007

Letter from the bank!

Have you ever had a thankyou letter from the bank? No, i havent either....until today!

I went to my letterbox this morning and in it was a letter from Kiwibank. They wanted to thank me for being with them since they opened in 2001. I am apparently one of their foundation customers. I dont get any special discounts for this or any 'perks' but it was nice to receive the letter.

For those that dont know, Kiwibank was a bank opened in 2001 by the government and owned by the government in order to combat the spiralling bank charges by the existing banks (that were all incidently Australian owned) Over the last 5 years it has worked, the bank is making big profits and bank charges are now at zero or near zero! It was a big gamble at the time they first opened as it was used as as a political football for government intervention or Not government intervention. It seems that government intervention in this case has been a huge success

Check them out at www.kiwibank.co.nz

8 Comments:

At 2:38 PM, Blogger RIC said...

Fabulous marketing and advertising strategies they all have!...
But if it's for the well being of New Zealand's economy I don't mind buying it... After all I «buy» so many others...
:-)

 
At 3:14 PM, Blogger CondoBlogger said...

Wow... very interesting. It's funny, if the US government started a bank I think it would be just as fee based and anti-consumer as all the other banks are. Nice to hear that there's an alternative that is working.

 
At 3:27 PM, Blogger T-Bird said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 3:31 PM, Blogger T-Bird said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 3:32 PM, Blogger T-Bird said...

We had a national bank that quickly became very evil (typical concentration of wealth in a few greedy hands type of stuff). President Andrew Jackson killed it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Jackson

 
At 1:17 AM, Blogger tim said...

Sometimes all we really want is to be acknowledged. When my bank finally stopped charging me fees, I was ecstatic. Since then, they seem to be expanding more and more. Hope all is well with you. :)

 
At 1:01 PM, Blogger Donnie said...

That sounds like a great bank, Kevin. My bank is a pretty "personable" bank with low fees. I don't mind that my bank isn't nationwide...it suits my needs just fine. In case you're wondering, I bank with First Citizens Bank (http://www.firstcitizens.com/)

 
At 3:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's great! Can Kiwibank give lessons to American banks?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home