kev.in.real.time

Saturday, December 09, 2006

Jetlag!

Im not suffering from too much jetlag. In fact i feel pretty good. Im in bed at 10pm and up at about 7am which is pretty good. However i have a cold at the moment. Some lady on the New York/LA stretch of the flight home who was sitting next to me had a bad cold so i just knew i would get it.....and voila, i have it.

I met so many nice New Yorkers. In fact there are so many stories to tell that i could be typing all night.

I dont think i have ever walked around a city so much. I think i saw virtually everything. The city is just so big and noisy and exciting. The yellow taxi's are very interesting not to mention their driving! We got from the airport to the city on Supershuttle. The drive was entertaining to say the least. In the airport we were met by Indian and Middle Eastern men touting for business to drive us to the city. We did think for a few minutes that we had arrived in the Middle East but then we found out quickly how diverse the city was. We stayed in Chelsea. Took breakfast every morning which were truely American size portions...Extra large.

I done lots of shopping. In fact i havent looked at my credit card balance yet because i think i will need a stiff drink first! I loved the discount stores of Loehmanns and Century21. Macy's was also cool. I loved the christmas decorations and street lights which were just so beautiful. I enjoyed my visit to Trump Tower where i had coffee and the Staaten Island Ferry was so good. We had lunch on Staaten Island before travelling back to Manhatten.

The one thing that really impressed me was the friendliness of the people of NY. People seemed genuinely interested in you and were not too stuck up to talk. I think that if anyone has problems with Americans then it would be only their politicians as the people seem nice enough to me.

Oh and i just fell in love with the squirrels in Central Park. I just wanted to bring one home with me. We dont have squirrels here. So cute.

Im going to try and put some pictures on here now if i can figure out how to do it so here it goes....
kev.in.real.time

5 Comments:

At 5:18 PM, Blogger David said...

looking forward to the pics!

 
At 12:09 AM, Blogger Lemuel said...

I am so glad you had a good time.

Yes, the people of NYC are quite different (nicer) than their general reputation, as, I think, are we Americans as a whole. Right now we suffer in the world because of the Chimp-in-Charge. Thank you for the affirmation that we are not as bad as Dear Leader.

I had to laugh when you commented about the taxi's, their drivers, and the competition over you. Very true.

As for portions of food. Yes, we eat large, but my experience in NYC is that the portions were even larger (as were the prices).

Squirrels! I did not realize that you did not have squirrels in NZ! Oh, do I know millions of Americans who would give up their squirrels for you! LOL! Actually I find them cute, too. But they can be a nuisance. In our backyard they steal the food out of the bird feeders. They are very ingenious little thieves, too.

Do you have chipmunks in NZ? They are just as cute and can be just as much of an annoyance.

We will be going to NYC at the end of the month. We have tickets to a Garrison Keillor show. It will be my first trip to the city in about 10 years.

I join David in looking forward to your pics.

 
At 2:06 AM, Blogger RIC said...

I'm quite happy for you, Kevin! I knew - somehow - you would enjoy it there!
Before asking you any questions, I'll wait for your next posts. And I do hope you'll manage to post your photos!
I was there in the summer, but I'm sure it must also be wonderful this time of the year.
Thanks!

 
At 3:02 AM, Blogger cb said...

Ok- Here are a few things now that you've been to America.

If you have any sort of Aussi/Kiwi accent- you are loved. We love accents here, and guy from down under will turn ANY american's head instantly. that's why the NYers were nice. Otherwise they'd be oblivious to your existence. and God help you if you are french!

Squirrels are sort of cute, but really just rats with fluffier tails. I had forgotten that you don't have squirrels there. But you do have these birds that have an amazing song- Bell Birds????

You got a true taste of American gluttony- isn't it awesome? Big city, big buildings, big breakies, big shopping, big holiday displays.

Please tell me you went to Rockefeller Center and ice skated?

OH! And Please tell me you stopped in to see the gay penguins?

 
At 4:30 AM, Blogger Michael said...

Hey Kev--yes it's true, Americans love a foreign accent, plus I'm sure it helps that you're young and cute. But I have defend my honor from what CB said. ;-)

We New Yorkers have a reputation for being unfriendly for some reason, but in truth we love to help an out-of-towner if you stop us to ask directions or something. Mostly we love to show off our knowledge of the city of which we are very proud. Plus, most people living in Manhattan are not actually FROM New York. In most cases it is our adopted home and we love it and love sharing it with others!

I'm so glad you had a good trip. I can't wait to see pictures!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home